Classic Caesar Salad
Caesar salad is basically a non-vegetarian salad invented in Tijuana, Mexico in the 1920s. It is one of the US’s most famous dishes. It has a seasoned dressing of anchovies, egg yolk, lemon juice, olive oil and parmesan cheese. Because, Caesar salad is a very popular dish hence, it is found on menu of most restaurants of America.
It is a combination of taste and flavours because it has crisp freshness of romain lettuce, crunchiness of croutons and savouriness of grated parmesan and creaminess of Caesar dressing.
INGREDIENTS OF CLASSIC CAESAR SALAD:
6 anchovy fillets
1 small garlic clove
2 large egg yolks
2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
¾ teaspoon mustard
2 tablespoon olive oil
½ cup vegetable oil
3 tablespoon finely grated parmesan cheese
Freshly ground black pepper
3 romaine lettuce
Parmesan, for serving
CLASSIC CAESAR SALAD PREPARATION:
Chop anchovy fillets and garlic finely with the knife and make it a paste ,then put into a bowl.
Then put egg yolks, lemon juice and mustard in the bowl and whisk well.
After that add olive oil and vegetable oil gradually and whisk well until it turns into thick and glossy paste.
Then, put parmesan and whisk.
Finally, mix salt, pepper and more lemon juice as per taste.
HOW TO MAKE CROUTONS:
Cut the bread into fine small pieces (you can also tear bread into small pieces).
Then, preheat oven to 375 degree.
Then, mix bread pieces with olive oil on a baking sheet.
Now, bake until turns golden, 10-15 minutes.
FINAL PREPARTION OF CLASSIC CAESAR SALAD:
Put whole romaine leaves in a large bowl. Shave the parmesan with a vegetable peeler and put it in the bowl.
Now, mix dressing, lettuce and croutons together until mix properly.
Then , add some parmesan on top of salad.
Your classic caesar salad is ready.
Finally , serve chilled or at room temperature.
SERVING SIZE: 4-6 serving
PREPARATION TIME: 30 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 30 minutes
Avoid it if serving it to very young, very old, pregnant or immune compromised because of the risk of salmonella in raw eggs.
And if you don’t want to use raw eggs, you can also replace it with mayonnaise or you can use pasteurized eggs.
If anchovies are not available, you can also use a teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce in the dressing.
Hope you like this recipe.
When we talk about salad, there are many types of salads that we have not eaten but heard their name. Coleslaw salad is basically a cabbage salad. It’s called “koolsla” in Dutch .“Kool” means cabbage and “slas” means salad. This is a very popular dish in America. However, if we buy commercially prepared coleslaw it can have unhealthy ingredients like hydrogenated oils and a considerable amount of salt and sugar in it. So, it is a better option to prepare it at home with healthy ingredients to get the most health benefits. It is a very simple and tasty recipe.
- finely chopped cabbage (red or green) 1/2
- finely chopped carrot 1
- grated onion 1/2
- salt 1 teaspoon
- sugar 2 teaspoons
- black pepper 1 teaspoon
- mayonnaise 1/2 cup (use veg mayo if you are vegetarian)
- apple cider vinegar 1 tablespoon
METHOD OF MAKING COLESLAW SALAD
In a bowl, add sugar, salt, black pepper powder, apple cider vinegar, and mayonnaise altogether and mix well.
- Now, put cabbage, carrot, and onion in the bowl and mix well with the dressing until dressing coats properly.
- Then transfer it to a serving plate or bowl and serve chilled for better taste.
BENEFITS OF CABBAGE:
- Helps fight breast cancer because cabbage contains molecules called isothiocyanates which are especially known for their anti-cancer properties.
- A great antioxidant as it is rich in polyphenols which are recognized for their antioxidant property.
- It contains a good amount of essential fatty acids (EFAs) which help in fighting inflammatory conditions.
- A wonderful source of vitamin K which give strength to our bones.
- It has a great detoxification property and helps in weight loss.
- Also, it is high in fibers and rich in vitamin C.
TIPS FOR EATING COLESLAW SALAD
- Alternatively, you can use mayonnaise in place of natural yogurt which provides equal creaminess and gives fewer calories.
- Also, you can add thinly chopped vegetables of your own choice like apple, radish, or celery.
- You can try different herbs and spices as they give you more flavor and nutritional richness.
- It can also be consumed with french fries, sandwiches, barbeque meats, and hotdogs.
- Avoid too much consumption because it can cause flatulence and bloat.
HOPE YOU LIKE THE RECIPES!
If you are struggling shedding weight. You can talk to us by taking this assessment: Click here
For more information click here