Do Pyaza’ meaning double onions is a term used for this north Indian curry. Slow cooking the onions in a Chicken do Pyaza is key as its goes a lovely caramel colour and gives the curry a deep rich flavour to the resultant dish. Coming over to the healthy twist in this recipe I dont use oil in it. Its a complete oil free recipe. This is how I cook at home. The creaminess in the curry comes from the addition of thick beaten Curd
Chicken Do Payaza is perfect served with tandoori roti or rice.
Chicken Do Pyaza is my go-to recipe whenever I want to make chicken with gravy in less time. There is no authentic source or proof about origin of this recipe. According to Wikipedia, the claim about it being invented during Mughal era.
- 500 gm chicken
- 2 big onions finely chopped
- 1 tomato chopped (seeds removed)
- 2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 onion diced
- 2 green chillies
- One tbsp coriander leaves chopped
- 1 cup curd
- Half tsp kashmiri red chilli powder
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- Half tsp kasuri methi
- ½ tsp garam masala
- Half cup water
INSTRUCTION FOR COOKING CHICKEN DO PYAZA
- In Mixing bowl, add 500 gm chicken, 1 tsp kashmiri red chilli powder and 1 tsp salt. Mix well together and let all marinate for 30 min.
- In cooking pan , add 4 tbsp curd, ginger garlic paste, ½ tsp turmeric powder, 2 tsp coriander powder, 1 tsp kashmiri red chilli powder and ½ tsp cumin powder. Mix all the spices well with curd and keep aside.
- Add marinated chicken and ½ tsp garam masala in cooking pan and mix well.
- Keep it on medium flame. Cover the lid till the chicken gets mildly cooked.
- Add Half cup water and cook for 2 min on high heat. Turn heat to low, cover the lid and cook for another 15 min.
- Remove the lid and add 1 diced onion, 1 chopped tomato and 2 green chillies and mix. Cover the lid and cook for 5 min or until chicken turns juicy and tender.
- Again remove the lid and cook on high flame so that gravy becomes thick and water gets over.
- Now, Add ½ tsp kasuri methi and 1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves. Mix well and cook for 2 min and turn off the heat.
- Serve hot chicken do pyaza with roti or rice.
For more information click here
If you are struggling shedding weight. You can talk to us by taking this assessment: Click here