Talbina is a simple dish that is enjoyed by middle east and Indian families in breakfast. It is made from barley flour, milk, water and is often sweetened with honey. Barley, honey, and milk are all hold their own healing properties. Talbina combines all three ingredients together to create a super food! It lowers cholesterol and strengthens the heart; protects from cancer, Alzheimer, and depression; controls blood sugar levels, Type 2 Diabetes, mellitus and hypertension, all without side effects.
Nutrition Facts of Barley:
Barley is a good source of insoluble and soluble dietary fiber. The soluble fiber portion contains the richest source of beta-glucans compared to any other grain; these can aid immune function. Barley also contains B vitamins, iron, magnesium, zinc, phosphorus, and copper, and is one of the richest sources of chromium, which is important in maintaining blood glucose levels. Also barley is rich in antioxidants and contains a high concentration of tocols and tocotrienols, oils that help reduce the risk of cancer and heart disease. Barley has been cited as a possible food to increase tryptophan, and thus serotonin in the body
The weight loss side effects of talbina powder:
Talbina Stops Appetite and Reduces Belly Fat: The soluble fiber in talbina powder can prevent your body from absorbing calories from food and sugar, which helps you feel full for a longer time, preventing you from overeating. Meanwhile, fat cells will be broken down by talbina powder.
Jau (Barley) broken 25 gms or 100% whole grain barley flour
Water as required
Dates 2-3 or honey (for sweetening)
Cardamom powder ½ tsp
Pista (Pistachio) sliced 2 tsp
Almonds sliced 2 tsp
- In bowl, add broken barley and wash with water.
- Add water and soak for 3-4 hours or overnight then drain the water.
- In pot, add milk and bring it to boil, add soaked barley and mix well, cover partially and cook on low for 8-10 minutes.
- Deseed and chop dates.
- Add dates, mix well, cover partially and cook on low flame for 25-30 minutes.
- Now add cardamom powder and mix well, cover partially and cook for another for 8-10 minutes.
- Add pistachio, almonds and mix well. -Garnish & serve!
OR IF USING BARLEY FLOUR THAN
STEP 1. Pour 1-2 tablespoons of barley flour into 1-2 cups of water or milk (I like to do half water half milk).
STEP 2. Stir on low heat for about 10-15 minutes or until a porridge-like consistency is reached.
STEP 3. Sweeten with honey to your liking.
STEP 4. Garnish it with almonds and pistachio
- If you cannot find barley flour at your local store, I found that buying barley pearls and then grinding them to a flour-like consistency in a well-rinsed coffee grinder yields good results.
- Remember that barley flour is used as a thickener and so it will thicken as you cook it. Do not leave it in the stove for too long or you may come back to a floppy brick of barley porridge! If this does happen, you can add more water or milk and re-stir while reheating.
I hope you take advantage of this simple yet amazing dish for Breakfast. Stay tuned to learn more such recipes. Enjoy!!!
For more recipes: Click here
Hope you like this recipe.
If you are facing issues in dropping your weight, please take this free-body type assessment: Click here