Chickpea hummus, a beloved Middle Eastern and Mediterranean dip, becomes a culinary masterpiece when you follow these straightforward steps. This recipe combines a few key ingredients to produce a creamy, flavorful spread that’s perfect for any occasion.
Savor your freshly made chickpea hummus immediately as a dip alongside pita bread, carrot sticks, cucumber slices, or your favorite vegetables. Additionally, it makes a fantastic spread for sandwiches and wraps, imparting a burst of flavor and a creamy texture.
This homemade chickpea hummus is a crowd-pleaser that not only delights the taste buds but also provides a nutritious option packed with protein, fiber, and healthy fats. Whether you’re hosting a gathering or simply in need of a delicious and wholesome snack, chickpea hummus is your go-to recipe that never disappoints. So, embrace the flavors of the Mediterranean and indulge in this delightful creation!
Ingredients to make chickpea hummus recipe
- 1 cup chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (about 1 large lemon)
- 1/4 cup well-stirred tahini
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for serving
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt to taste
- 2 to 3 tablespoons water
- Dash of ground paprika, for serving (optional)
- Chopped fresh parsley, for serving (optional)
- Prepare the Chickpeas: Start by draining and rinsing a can of chickpeas under cold running water. This step not only removes the canned taste but also loosens the skins, resulting in smoother hummus.
- Combine Ingredients: In a food processor, combine 1/4 cup of fresh lemon juice (about 1 large lemon) with 1/4 cup of well-stirred tahini. Process for 20 seconds to create a light, creamy mixture.
- Enhance Flavor: Add a small minced garlic clove, 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil, and 1/2 teaspoon of ground cumin to the tahini-lemon mixture. Process for another 20 seconds.
- Incorporate Chickpeas: Add half of the chickpeas to the food processor and process for about 1 minute. Don’t forget to scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl. Then, add the remaining chickpeas and continue processing until your hummus reaches a smooth consistency, which usually takes about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Adjust Consistency: If your hummus appears too thick, while the food processor is running, gradually add 2 to 3 tablespoons of water until you achieve the desired consistency.
- Taste and Refine: Take a moment to taste the hummus and make any necessary adjustments by adding more salt or lemon juice to suit your preferences. You can also fine-tune the cumin to your liking.
- Serve with Flair: Scrape the finished hummus into a bowl, and with a spoon, create a well in the center. Drizzle a small amount of olive oil over the top, and for added visual appeal, sprinkle a dash of paprika. Optionally, garnish with chopped fresh parsley.
- Enjoy: Your homemade chickpea hummus is now ready to be enjoyed! It can be served immediately with pita bread, vegetable sticks, or as a flavorful spread in sandwiches and wraps. If you have leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week.
Now, you can savor this delicious homemade hummus with confidence and relish!
For more recipes: Click here
If you are facing issues in dropping your weight, please take this free-body type assessment: Click here