Have you ever heard of Buddha bowl? Well, you may have if you have been active on social media in past few years. You may also be wondering why do we call it a buddha bowl? Well, when we eat from a bowl with a wide top, it signifies Buddha’s belly!
A buddha bowl is a vegetarian meal bowl which is served in a bowl or plate and consists of small portions of several foods groups. And also served cold. The food groups may include whole grains such as quinoa or brown rice, plant sources such as chickpeas or tofu, and vegetables.
The bowl is really colorful, nutritious and also satisfying. Moreover, this bowl contains most of the nutrients such as macronutrients and micronutrients that your body needs for the proper functioning.
So, let’s create a buddha bowl of your own!
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Total time: 1 hour
- Brown rice-1/2 cup
- Chickpeas-1/2 cup
- Carrot, chopped-1
- Cabbage, shredded-1/2 cup
- Squeeze of lemon-1 tbsp
- Salt, to taste
- Kale/lettuce, chopped-5-6 leaves
- Sesame seeds or hemp seeds-1 tbsp
- Sodium tamari sauce or soy sauce, to taste
- Cucumber, very thinly sliced-1
- Green onion, thinly chopped-1/4 cup
Method of preparation:
- Firstly, pour the 2-3 cups of water in a large pot and once the water is boiling, add the rice and boil for 10-15 minutes. Now, drain the water and also combine it with tamari or soy sauce seasoning and set is aside.
- Also, boil the chickpeas for 10-15 minutes and after draining the water, set it aside.
- Meanwhile, chop all the vegetables such as carrot, cabbage, lettuce/kale, cucumber, green onion and toss them thoroughly with a squeeze of lemon, salt and set aside.
- Next, assemble a bowl with the steamed and seasoned brown rice, boiled chickpeas, chopped kale/lettuce, carrot, cucumber, cabbage. Now, top it off with some sesame or hemp seeds, salt and pepper and voila! your own buddha bowl is ready.
If you are struggling shedding weight. You can talk to us by taking this assessment: Click here
For more information click here