A low-carb diet limits carbohydrates — such as those found in grains, starchy vegetables and fruit and emphasizes foods high in protein and fat. Many types of low-carb diets exist. Each diet has varying restrictions on the types and amounts of carbohydrates you can eat. A low-carb diet is generally used for weight loss. Some low-carb diets may have health benefits beyond weight loss, such as reducing your risk of type 2 diabetes and metabolic syndrome.
Why you might follow a low-carb diet
You might choose to follow a low-carb diet because you:
- Want a diet that restricts certain carbs to help you lose weight
- Want to change your overall eating habits
- Enjoy the types and amounts of foods featured in low-carb diets
Check with your doctor and dietitian before starting any weight-loss diet, especially if you have any health conditions, such as diabetes or heart disease.
Refined carbohydrates such as sugar or white flour are often added to processed foods. Examples of foods with refined carbohydrates are white breads and pasta, cookies, cake, candy, and sugar-sweetened sodas and drinks.
Your body uses carbohydrates as its main energy source. During digestion complex carbs are broken down into simple sugars (glucose) and release into your blood (blood glucose).
Insulin is released to help glucose enter the body’s cells, where it can be used for energy. Extra glucose is stored in the liver and muscles, and some is converted to body fat.
A low-carb diet is intended to cause the body to burn stored fat for energy, which leads to weight loss.
NOW COME OVER TO OUR VERY EASY LOW CARB RECIPE AND ENJOY IT WITH ANY DIP OF YOUR CHOICE !!!!!!
- Fish: Cut fish fillets into roughly 1.5 inch chunks. You can use any of these fish for this recipe- Katla, Rohu, Cod, Tilapia, Salmon etc (any of your choice). If using frozen fish, read instructions in ‘Tips’ section.
- Onions and Peppers: Cut bell peppers or rainbow peppers into 1-1.5 inch chunks, about the same size as the fish. Cut onion into large chunks and separate the layers. You can switch the onions and peppers for squash, zucchini, cherry tomatoes or mushrooms if you like.
- Tandoori Marinade: Yogurt, oil, crushed ginger and garlic (or grated), lime, salt, turmeric, garam masala, ground coriander, cumin, kashmiri red chili powder (or paprika), black pepper powder and Kasoori methi (dried fenugreek leaves).
Step 1: Marinate Fish
- In a mixing bowl combine oil, crushed ginger and garlic, spices, lime juice to make a quick marinade.
- Mix well.
- Toss fish pieces, onions and pepper chunks in the marinade till everything gets coated well.
- The best part about this recipe is that the fish absorbs the flavors of the marinade quickly so you can cook it right-away.
Step 2: Cook Fish in an AirFryer or Oven Broiler
You can cook Fish Tikka using an Airfryer, Oven broiler. Checkout the step by step directions for all three methods below:
Options 1: How to Cook Fish in an Airfryer
- Line the drip pan with aluminum foil for easy clean-up. This is optional though. Place the fry basket in the drip pan.
- Arrange the fish, onions and peppers in the basket in a single layer. Don’t overcrowd them otherwise they won’t crisp up while cooking.
- Insert the basket back. Using the temperature button set 360°F. Set the timer for for 8-10 mins, depending on thickness of fish. (1 inch= 8 mins; 1.5 inch=10mins)
As an optional step, half-way through cooking after 4 minutes, you can baste the tikka pieces with oil, or spray lightly with cooking oil . This makes the exterior texture extra-crisp. Push the basket back in and cook for another 4 minutes.
Option 2: Oven Recipe
- Turn on the oven broiler. Place the marinated fish, onions and peppers on an aluminum or parchment lined baking sheet.
- Place the baking sheet on the top rack and cook for 7-8 minutes, or until the fish cooks through and turns opaque.
Serve hot with chutney’s or any dip of your choice. The chutney’s fresh and zesty flavors provide a delicious contrast to the earthy and spicy flavors in the fish, onions and peppers.
Tips for the Tastiest Tandoori Fish
- Before marinating, always pat dry the fish. This absorbs the extra moisture which leads to a crisper texture.
- When making this recipe with frozen fish, allow it to gradually defrost in the refrigerator overnight. This results in a better texture of fish after cooking.
- Tikka recipes traditionally call for onions and peppers, but you can switch these for squash, zucchini, cherry tomatoes, mushrooms etc.
- As an optional step, half-way through the cooking process, you can baste the tikka pieces with oil. This makes the exterior texture extra-crisp.
- Sprinkle fish tikka with fresh lime juice and chaat masala (Indian spice blend) before serving, this extra step really elevates the tikka flavors.
- Getting the cooking time right for fish is very important.
If you are struggling shedding weight. You can talk to us by taking this assessment: Click here
For more information click here