Winters call for green leafy vegetables. We get a variety of leafy vegetables during this season such as sarson (mustard leaves), spinach leaves, fenugreek leaves and bathua leaves. Do you know that a regular intake of these green leafy vegetables can help you restore your vitamin A stores? So, they are not only healthy but also brimming with nutrition. Sarson ka saag is one of the soulful foods during winters.
Sarson da saag with makki di roti is must haves during this season. It is traditionally made in Punjab and consists of mustard leaves and spinach. You must have noticed that it is generally served with makki di roti in Northern India. The combination of saag and makki roti is unbeatable.
Why sarson ka saag?
Well the answer is very easy. It is tasty and highly nutritious. Mustard leaves are a good source of fiber and potassium. They are also rich in vitamin C and iron. Do you know that when iron is consumed along with vitamin C, it gets absorbed better in our body? So, said that mustard leaves are a good source of iron as well. They are also rich in vitamin B6 and magnesium. These leaves are low in sodium and rich in potassium and therefore can be consumed by hypertensive patients as well.
Spinach leaves on the other hand are equally nutritious. They are low in carbohydrates and fats. Spinach is a good source of calcium and potassium. It is a moderate source of iron. It is also low in sodium and rich in potassium and therefore can be used in the diet of hypertensive persons.
If seen as a combination, mustard leaves and spinach together are low carb and fat and rich source of vitamins and minerals.
If you don’t get mustard leaves at your location, you can always make spinach curry! Add ginger-garlic paste to it along with onions. Palak saag is also equally tasty and healthy. You can just skip mustard leaves from the following recipe and make palak curry/saag.
Let’s start with the recipe:
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
Sarson ka saag is incomplete without makki di roti! so try out this amazing recipe of makki di roti!
Ingredients to make sarson ka saag:
Sarson leaves: 5 cups (washed and chopped)
Spinach leaves: 5 cups (washed and chopped)
Oil- 1 tbs
Cumin seeds: 1 tsp
Ginger garlic paste: 2 tbs
Onions: ½ cup (finely chopped)
Salt: to taste
Hing (asafetida): ¼ tsp
Turmeric powder: 1 tsp
Chili powder: 1 tsp
Method of preparation:
- Firstly, to make sarson ka saag, heat a non-stick pan and boil around 5 cups of water. Add spinach leaves and mustard leaves to it. Mix well and cook on a high flame for about 4-5 minutes. Make sure to stir continuously.
- Secondly, Strain and drain the leaves.
- Thirdly, wash the leaves again 2 times using cold water. Drain and set them aside for 2-3 minutes.
- Now, in a mixer blend the leaves to make a coarse mixture with ¼ cup of water.
- Take a kadai and heat 1 tablespoon of oil. To it add cumin seeds and hing and let them crackle. Add ginger-garlic paste and sauté for few seconds on medium flame.
- Then, to this add chopped onion and sauté for 1 minute.
- To this, add the spinach & mustard coarse mixture and all the spices. Cook for about 4-5 minutes and then turn off the flame.
Sarson ka saag is ready! Serve hot with makki ki roti.
If you are struggling shedding weight. You can talk to us by taking this assessment: Click here
For more information click here