What are cruciferous vegetables ?
Cruciferous vegetables belong to a special vegetable group which is cultivated by unique and new technique form called as Cross- bearing .
Cross-bearing denotes the word CRUCIFERAE in which four petals look like a cross.
Example of cruciferous vegetables:
- Brussels sprouts
Significance of cruciferous vegetables :
Cruciferous vegetables have lots of significance and benefits in our day today life and now a days these vegetables have risen popularity due to their Cancer-fighting properties.
Advantages of cruciferous vegetables:
- Cruciferous vegetables are low in calories
- Also a good source of folate
- Crucifers are full of vitamins like: Vitamin C,E and K
- As well as rich in fiber contents as fiber plays very important role in weight loss management
- Additionally crucifers are high in all types of Nutrients
- Moreover, cruciferous vegetables are best source of PHYTONUTRIENTS.
Phytonutrients are plant based compounds and also called as phytochemicals.
Plant use phytochemicals to stay healthy these compounds help in lowering the inflammation.
Also reduces the risk of developing cancer.
Benefits of phytonutrients
- Prevent low grade inflammation
- Protect us from from environmental toxins
- Dilate blood vessels and reduces BP
- Enhance the immunity
- Also protect from cardiovascular diseases
- Strengthen Red Blood cells
- Have enzymes that detoxify and strengthen the liver
- create vital sources of nutrients which fights against cancer cells
- Also phytonutrients have Antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties
- And phytonutrients rich foods include colorful fruits and vegetables, legumes, nuts, tea, whole grains and many spices.
Types of phytonutrients
What does Cruciferous vegetables do to the body?
- Cruciferous vegetables have lots of the vitamins and minerals which body needs.
- As well as they also contain unique nutrients that promote healthy body functions
- These nutrients may help in preventing chronic diseases
- Cruciferous vegetables contain Phytonutrient called as Glucosilonates .
Some benefits of glucosinolates:
- It comes from dark green plants.
- Glucosinolates have strong Anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties helping to protect cells from damage by disease.
- Cruciferous vegetables are high in fiber and proteins and together with glycosinolate its power increases and provide lots of health benefits like:
- Improves heart health
- Protection for cancerous cells
- Boost immunity
- Can aid with weight loss
What is sulforaphane?
- Sulforaphane is plant based compound which naturally found in Cruciferous vegetables.
- High in bio-availability which is very useful for preventing dangerous disease like cancer.
Characteristic of sulforaphane:
- It is having anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties -like effects which help in fighting oxidative stress.
- As well as sulforaphane can help in reducing inflammation, including arthritis, cardiovascular disease and others.
- It also boost immune system ability that prevent both chronic diseases.
- Also it works as an indirect antioxidant by which it helps in preventing TYPE 2 DIABETES MELLITUS
How sulforaphane helps in treatment of cancer ?
- Sulforaphane kills cancerous cells in its early stage and it is used in extract form to treat cancers .
- As well as sulforaphane induces death of cancer cells
- Suppress cycle of cancer so their progression is limited
- Also, Inhibit the formation of new blood vessels that allow tumors to grow and anti-inflammatory activities.
- Moreover, it inhibit spreading of cancer to other locations in the body.
- All these are the properties of sulforaphane shows that it is best source to prevent cancer like diseases.
How cruciferous vegetables helpful in detoxification?
Why is sulforaphane good for the liver?
- Sulforaphane is good for liver because of it has ability to boost antioxidant effects in the body
- Also support detoxification enzymes.
- Therefore, it can help prevent the liver becoming damaged and dysfunctional.
What is detoxification ?
‘Detoxification means purification of the toxins from the body’
- Detoxification is a natural process done by our body to get rid of the toxins .
- As well as Detoxification process interacts with the body itself and removes toxins.
- Also this process keeps our body healthy.
- Improves the function of body by lowering the amount of toxins which body takes.
Therefore it supports the body’s in elimination, detoxification systems with nutrients that it requires proper functionality.
Benefits of detox:
- Detoxify/Cleanse the body
- Reduce body fat
- Removes toxins from liver and kidney
- Eliminate impurities from the lymph and intestines
- Maintains digestive functions
- Controls blood pressure
- Refuel the healthy nutrients
- Heals internal damaged cells
- Reduce refine- sugar cravings
- Helpful in sleeping problems
How to prevent cancer by using cruciferous vegetables ?
- Cruciferous vegetables helps in preventing cancer like they contain properties of fighting against cancer
- Which are coming from the compounds called glucosinolates, sulforaphane .
- Breaking down of glucosinolates into indoles and thiocyanates helps in decreasing inflammation
- As well as they lowers the risk of cancer.
- They help in protecting the cells from DNA damage.
- Also they help in inactivating the cancerous cells
- They have antiviral and antibacterial effects.
- They have anti-inflammatory effects.
- Besides they induce cell death.
Tips for taking cruciferous vegetables
- Firstly, ensure that green leaves are fresh
- Wash with cool running water just before use
- Steam, stir-fry, or sauté to retain glucosinolates, folate, a vitamin C.
- Cook just until tender/crisp, with greens still bright to avoid bad odors
- Also try roasting with olive oil, garlic, and your favorite herbs
- Enjoy raw with hummus. If the flavor is too strong to enjoy raw, steam or blanch briefly, cool in ice water, and serve cold.
- Moreover add fresh to green salads
Nutraceutical significance of cruciferous vegetables
Broccoli is full of many natural chemicals , vitamins and minerals.
Also broccoli is high in sulforaphane compound, which may help in health conditions.
- DIABETES MELLITUS : sulforaphane may help lower your blood sugar.
- CANCER: sulforaphane in broccoli might stop cancer cells from forming in your body
- OSREOPOROSIS: It help in bone stiffness, make your bones strong and decrease the brittleness of bones
Cauliflower has a phytonutrient compound known as glucosinolates.
When we eat it they broken down into compounds that may help prevent cancer and also they help protect cells from damage and have anti-inflammatory, antiviral, and antibacterial effects.
- It contains Vitamin A, helpful in preventing eye and bone diseases
- VitamionC, aids in chronic disease prevention,
- It contains Vitamin K which is good for clotting of blood and bone building.
- Also it contains Folate, is the key to develop brain functioning
- Alpha-linolenic acid, an omega-3 fatty acid(healthy fat )
- Moreover helpful in cataract as it contain phytonutrients
- As well as, Kale contains beneficial Minerals like potassium, zinc , phosphorus and calcium
4 .Brussel sprouts :
Brussels sprouts have a lot of a natural, sulforaphane/ glycosinolate compound may help prevent damage to your DNA that creates cancerous cells
As well as, helps in reducing the growth of cancerous tumors
Therefore, eating a lot of Brussels sprouts and other cruciferous veggies may help protect against cancers of ( breast, liver, kidney, prostate etc).
- Cabbage contains chemicals that helps in preventing cancer.
- Also change the way estrogen is used in the body, which might reduce the risk of breast cancer.
What are cruciferous sprouts?
Baby broccoli plant – this plant, can easily grow in your house in your kitchen and doesn’t require any soil and sun.
As well as this, baby broccoli are best source of phytonutrients which can help in fighting cancerous cells
Facts about broccoli
Broccoli is low in digestible carbs but provides a huge amount of fiber which keeps you full for longer time and promotes gut health as well as reduces the risk of various chronic diseases It is high in protein that most of the vegetables
Also broccoli contains carotenoids /beta-carotene which all contribute to better eye health.
As well as in broccoli , sulforaphane found in high amount that may play a major role in preventing prostate and colon cancer found high in :
- Broccoli sprouts
- Brussels sprouts.
Therefore , Increase your dietary intake of broccoli and other cruciferous vegetables will make your plate more healthy and nutritious.
Healthy recipes(cruciferous vegetables):
How to make easy broccoli salad ?
Broccoli salad is very nutritious and healthy as well as very easy to make and helpful in weight management .
Ingredients for broccoli salad
- 300g broccoli , broken into small pieces
- 2 carrots chopped
- 50g cashews , toasted, roughly chopped
For making pickle
- 80ml vinegar
- 1 tbsp sugar
- ¼ tsp sea salt flakes
- 1 red onion , finely sliced
For last dressing of salad
- 50ml olive oil
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 lemon
- Firstly, to make the pickle, heat the vinegar, sugar and salt in a small pan.
- Then, boil it for 1 min until the sugar dissolves, then add the red onion and stirr well
- Then, take off the heat, cover, and leave to cool completely.
- Secondly, mix the broccoli, carrots and cashews in a large bowl.
- Then add the cooled pickled onion, mix it well
- Afterward mix together the pickling liquid, oil, maple syrup and lemon juice, along with 2 tbsp cold water.
- Finally, pour over the vegetables
- Then mix until well coated.
- Lastly, serve yummy and hot broccoli salad with lunch dinner or as a snack
For more information click here
If you are struggling shedding weight. You can talk to us by taking this assessment: Click here