Yam, also known as suran in Hindi, is a crispy spiced veggie dish made with simple ingredients. It’s delicious and also pairs great with any main courses.
It is a delicious main dish recipe which is commonly known as a vegetable fish dish because of its stark resemblance to a fish dish. You can easily prepare this lip-smacking yam curry and fry and garnish it with coriander leaves and serve hot with rice or chapati.
Its dish is rich in flavors and will tantalize your taste buds with just one bite. Try these recipes and let us know your opinions!
So, without any due, let’s start with the recipes!
Ingredients for Yam fry:
- Yam, chopped-1 cup
- Green chili, chopped-1
- Ginger-garlic paste-1/2 tsp
- Garam masala-1/2 tsp
- Red chili powder-1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves-8-10
- Mustard seeds-1/4 tsp
- Cumin seeds-1/4 tsp
- Turmeric-1/4 tsp
- Hing-a pinch
- Oil-1 tbsp
Method of preparation for Yam fry:
- First step is to soak yam in water to wash it thoroughly for sometime.
- Secondly, peel off the skin of it and cut it into pieces and keep them into the water.
- Boil it in water until it becomes tender and not mushy and after it become tender enough, remove from the stove and drain the water and set aside the boiled yam.
- Next, heat a pan with oil and add ginger-garlic paste, hing, mustard and cumin seeds and fry until they splutter and add curry leaves and green chili in it.
- Now, add cooked yam and turmeric powder and salt in the pan.
- Stir on high flame for at least 5 minutes. Also, add garam masala and chili powder in it and fry for 1-2 minutes.
Ingredients for Yam curry:
- Yam-2 cup
- Lemon juice-1/2 tbsp
- Oil-3 tbsp
- Cumin seeds-1/2 tsp
- Ginger-garlic paste-1 tsp
- Red chilli powder-1/2 tsp
- Onion paste-2 tbsp
- Garam masala powder-1/2 tsp
- Salt, to taste
- Mustard seeds-1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder-1/2 tsp
- Tomato puree-1 tbsp
Method of preparation of Yam curry:
- Firstly, start by washing yam in running water, then peel and cut it into small pieces.
- Secondly, take a medium pan, add water and boil it over high flame. Now, add yam pieces and lime juice. Mix the ingredients well and sprinkle salt. Boil until the yam becomes tender. Remove from flame and drain the water.
- Next, take a frying pan, add oil and heat it over low flame. Add boiled yam in small batches and shallow-fry until they turn golden brown. When cooked, carefully transfer them on a tissue paper to drain the excess oil.
- To prepare the curry, take a deep pan and add mustard oil. Heat it over medium flame and add ginger-garlic paste, mustard seeds and cumin seeds.
- As mustard and cumin seeds starts to splutter, add onion paste and cook until it turns golden brown and after that add tomato puree and saute, until it dries out slightly. Now, sprinkle garam masala powder, chili powder, coriander powder and salt. Mix the ingredients.
- Lastly, add 1/2 cup of water and mix it well. Cook over medium flame until the gravy is thick.
- When the gravy is thick enough, add fried yam and let it simmer for 5 minutes.
- Finally, remove from heat and serve hot with rice or chapati.
If you are struggling shedding weight. You can talk to us by taking this assessment: Click here
For more information click here